August 01, 2005

Fun with x-rays

Since Aleska is going to be 4 in November, Ry's going to be 3 in November and Frosty is now 2.5, I figured it was time to experience the joy that is known as "doing hips." (Siberian Huskies have low incidence of hip displaysia because responsible breeders have their hips evaluated prior to using a dog or bitch for breeding.)

Bright and early (way TOO early after a late night sitting at a friend's house talking dogs) we trundled off to Dr. Butchko's to get in line to get hip xrays done. I've never been to Dr. B's on a Saturday morning. I know, now, that it's like waiting in line for tickets for big concert events - go the night before to get in line, and bring your own chair! :-)

After waiting in line to check in, I got up to the counter and started filling out forms only to realize that I'd left my Palm at home (otherwise known as Laura's external brain). Happily, I had recently made copies of registration certificates and health records and put them in the van to have in the event we needed them while travelling. So, leaving all of my paperwork on the counter (I was NOT going to wait in line again) I ran out to the van and returned with the necessary information. Once I finished the paperwork, I let the receptionist know we'd be outside with the dogs and settled in to wait. It was like a tailgate party without the party. We opened the back of the van, draped shade cloths strategically and waited and waited and waited. We moved the chairs to avoid sunburn (didn't work) and then decided it was getting warm enough that it was time to go wait inside, where there is (newly installed) AC. So we went inside, found a corner to wedge ourselves into and waited.

Finally I heard my name. Mom and I made it through the crowd and went back to the corner near the x-ray room - and then the fun started. I was handed a lead apron and gloves and asked the standard "are you pregnant" questions. (That would be NO.) Two VERY LARGE men lifted the dogs onto the table one by one. I rolled them over on their backs (thanks to Sean's "Unusual Attitude Training" they rolled over happily) and gave them tummy rubs while they were strectched out like Silly Putty for their x-rays.

Then the doctor looked at them, said "redo them all, these aren't good enough" and we went through the WHOLE process again. Now, did I mention that there's no AC in the X-ray room and I'm wearing a lead apron? :-) Happily, the second set of xrays were good. Each of the dogs showed me that they knew where the door was and were happy to use it to leave.

Dr. B hung the xrays up, looked at them and made his pronouncements. Now, these are their unofficial results, based on his experience.

Ryder - Hips: excellent, but may get a good from OFA, depending on who is reviewing that day and and how many excellent ratings they've handed out that day.

Aleska - Hips: good

Frosty - Hips: fair, but will probably get a good from OFA, depending on who's looking at them.

Boy, that was fun. I can't wait until Tinks and Katie are 2 and we can do that again! And Frosty, Ry and Aleska let me know that lead gloves decrease the quality of a belly rub. Apparently I owe them each another one.

No comments: