December 06, 2018

Mom did a thing....

Yeah, I got this one Elisabeth. .
So today it was raining.  And not just a sprinkle, but a real So Cal rainstorm complete with lightning and thunder.

When I woke up this morning, the dog run had standing water.  And, well, I just couldn't do it.  So I did what any experienced Siberian Husky owner would do under the circumstances.  I quickly secured as much of the house as possible and left Smokey, the well behaved Gr. Pyr with house privileges and Elisabeth, are you kidding me, 18 mo old puppy loose in the house with dog door access to the back yard.

I thought about them often during the day, wondering what destruction I would come home to.   Did I really close the bedroom and bathroom doors?  Did I get all of the dishes off of the counters and out of the sinks?  Did I... the list went on. 

I had a thing after work, so it wasn't like I could rush home.  So, driving home I just reminded myself that I'd done what I could in the early hours of the morning to keep them safe (short of chewing through electrical cords I suppose) and left them where they had great shelter from the weather and if they pulled all the books off the shelves, the important stuff was way up high anyway. 

So it was with no small amount of trepidation that I opened the front door and peered past the two dogs who were so happy to see me. 

And I looked again.  That box...well, I left it out intentionally knowing that it would be something they could amuse themselves with.  Pieces of a dog bed cover.  Oh well,  that's no big deal.  I carefully walked into the kitchen.  Nope, no open cabinets.  Nothing pulled down off the counters.

We did it!  We survived our first day of house privileges for Smokey and Elisabeth.   Now, that's not to say this is an every day thing.  But it's nice to know if for some reason they need to not be locked in their run (like it's underwater) I have options.  But I think it'll be a while before it's an every day thing.   I think Ryder and Frosty were in double digits when it happened for them.  Maybe it's the whole being raised by a non-Siberian that Elisabeth is different.  Who knows...I'll take it!

No comments: